Saturday, June 23, 2012

Teaching Internet Research Skills

Welcome to the first post of this blog! 
I just finished reading (and watching) an article from the Teaching Channel.  The article was titled "3 Video Lesson Guides on Digital Literacy" and it was written by Marie White.  This website seems like it will be a very helpful one as it provides videos, discussion, and lesson plans.  This particular article had great resources for the important topic of teaching internet research skills.  I LOVED how it applied the concepts to the Common Core standards as my county has just adopted them for the upcoming school year.  I found the third video to be very interesting since I just completed the plagiarism/copy right lessons for this course.  The teacher in the video did a great job motivating her students to understand and be aware of "fair use."  As a first grade teacher, I don't deal a whole lot with this issue, but I know it is important for kids to learn early about fairly using other people's work.  I think the Creative Commons/plagiarism activities we did in this course were all good reminders to us as adult students, but how do you all teach your children these necesarry "fair use" skills?

https://www.teachingchannel.org/blog/2012/05/15/3-video-lesson-guides-on-digital-literacy/

No comments:

Post a Comment