Saturday, July 7, 2012

Blogging in Your Class

I found another good post at Free Technology for Teachers.  I really love what Kathleen Morris had to say in her article "Making Educational Blogging Work for You." She mentions how commenting is important in the beginning to get students connected and collaborating.  She also emphasizes the necessity of modeling how to leave quality comments.  I don't think I've done enough of this in the past and will try to do it better this upcoming year.  I love that she has her students work to earn their own blog!  I haven't given my 1st graders their own blog before, but I know that I have some students who could handle it and really use it productively.  I'll have to try it!!
Morris also discusses how blogging can help your class connect with classes all over the world.  I really want to make that happen with our class blog this year.  It seems like a perfect way to expand horizons, learn about different cultures, and make learning more authentic.  So, if any of you want to be blogging buddies, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I like how you mentioned quality comments. I think that is one of the downfalls when it comes to student writing responses. I always try to remind them that you just can't say you like it. You have to say why you liked it. I think blogging is a great tool for students to expand their thoughts.

    ReplyDelete