Friday, July 13, 2012

News in Pictures

Free Technology for Teachers recently posted the article "Discovering the World's News in Pictures" about a feature on BBC News' website called "Day in Pictures."  I'm so happy I saw this post because I think it could be a great educational tool.  I've really been thinking that I need to include more current event discussion in my class and this site would be a perfect way to do that.  It gives a few pictures a day from all around the world including photos of serious situations and more light hearted day to day life images.  The pictures also include brief captions that would be great for teaching non-fiction text structures as well as geography and map skills as you discuss where each picture came from.  I definitely need to remember this site and incorporate it into our daily routine.  Do any of you have good activities for using current events in a meaningful way, specifically with younger students?

No comments:

Post a Comment